I don't know what's happening this summer, but my eyes and my heart have evolved to house new points of view on a million and one things. From nationhood to my hood, my world has turned upside down, right side up, and sideways. I feel as though there isn't enough time to make things right. I don't know what I'm rushing for but time seems to be slipping from beneath me. I don't like that feeling, but I think its all for a good reason. I don't believe I can correct the ills of the world, I mean I can barely get through my own. But things bug me, why not share them with yall?
As I sit here writing this, I witness the bursts of blinding lights and explosive sounds that are the United States of America. I feel comfortable here, unusually at ease, and I'm OK with that. This nation celebrates its independence tonight, and I cant help but bitterly think of the independence my people lack. Just last week I received news of tyrannical "God-fearing" men subjugating my Somali brethren back home. With the World Cup taking place in South Africa this year, the African continent is unusually interested in the tournament out of sheer pride and jubilation. The fact that such an event would be held in Africa is stunning and in my opinion, about effin time! Some ignorant folks on the other hand find this event to be blasphemy to the highest degree. Don't ask me why. I don't know why anyone would think that. Generally people are supposed to be interested in Football/Soccer, not suffer unjust punishment or unbridled violence at the hands of gun-toting goons.
Long story short, a group of Somali men huddled around a small television set, eagerly anticipating the next goal in one of the matches, find themselves at the mercy of a radical terrorist group. I'm unsure of the details, but it was reported that some men were beaten violently and that some may have even been murdered. Also, this was a match watched in complete secrecy without the knowledge of the douche-bag squad which oppresses the people of Somalia. Mind you, I generally avoid listening to such news as it usually makes its way through the twisted grape-vines which stem from Somali mouths at home, to Somali ears abroad. But this news came from my uncle, a trustful source whose virtue I can vouch for. Football is the world's game, not some blasphemous activity. It certainly is not bad enough to warrant death or violence, but I guess misguided hearts can twist anything to suit their needs. But tell me, did peace somehow become evil and undesirable?
Just wondering.
The pic is cause Im confused, get wid it =)
From Zahra, with Love.
Sunday, July 4, 2010
"I love the peace and I love the War"
Posted by Z.A.M.I at 9:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment