Ahh this here rap makes me feel so good. You know, I think I actually might have, perhaps, perchance, just a lil bit, caught the vibe of what it was like for all the kick-ass Somali poets back in the homeland. I mean, Ive never experienced their poetry slams or lyrical "get downs", but from what Ive heard from my grandmothers, Somali poetry is truly unique and oh so complimentary to the Somali culture. Our persistence, stubbornness, yes our stubbornness, and are ability to improvise at any given moment are traits that have been captured and utilized to create some of the most beautiful odes and poems in Somali. My grandmother or Ayeeyo 'A-yay-o' as it is pronounced in Somali, would make up poems for each of my siblings and I whenever we were in a mood, when we excelled at anything, or whenever we got on her nerves. More often than not, it was the latter by which she was inspired by, and Ive come to be inspired by her! How sweet.
--->>>now imagine a picture of granny smiling right about here =)
MWAH!
Reap it then I heap it keep it fat like middle
Cuttin it raw off the stock like sickle
One too many words like the horseman tripled
Got it from my granny her homicidal recital
Words the only weapons that could turn you into rivals
Face off its tribal, in Somali-a the proses were all vital
No tape recorded it, no spinning it on vinyl
You had to catch it fast, the spit game was viral
Givin away vials of wordplay Ebola, sweet like cola
Their lines cud straight hate but they knew how to show love
Now that was just about half the time, the other half cud make you sad
But stay like laugh lines
It was merely just a pastime, a half time to write rhymes
But not really write so they rehearse verse they all chime
Repeatin em day in, and out
The fables and legends of their kin
Wow they must have been some super saiyans
They got me sayin I can do what they do
Grow a tail Goku, no monkey no fool
I told you I got granny, shes my angelou so I...
Say it, breathe, let it drop
Let it, let it, let it, let it drop
I say it, breathe, let it drop
Let it, let it, let it, let it drop
So back to my lovely mama numba two
She'd bust it out slow here pace was on cue
Get you real close with her razor blade slew
Baby bottom butts her cuts were so smooth
She slap the words silly you could call it abuse
Tie on a noose, light the word fuse
Accelerant? Irrelevant, got her own fuel
Just the grease from the kitchen where
The bitchin and the livin would simmer and then stew
Become your food for thought,
For soul and heart, and from soul to heart is
Where the darkness parked
Till the flow would tow then light impart
Yeah, Im thinking thats where I got my start
0 comments:
Post a Comment